Adult right whale off Half Moon Bay, California, March 1982. (Photo:
(updated February 28, 2013)
(listed in reverse chronological order)
for articles who are not on-line in their entirety abstracts
of some of these reports are available
- NOAA Fisheries. 2013.
Draft Recovery Plan for the North Pacific Right Whale (Eubalaena japonica)
(issued January 23, 2013).
- Taylor, J. K. D., J. W. Mandelman, W. A. McLellan, M. J. Moore, G. B. Skomal, D.
S. Rotstein, and S. D. Kraus. 2013. Shark predation on North Atlantic
right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) in
the southeastern United States calving ground. Marine Mammal
Science, 29(1): 204–212 (January 2013)
- Ivashchenko, Y.V. & Clapham, P.J. 2012. Soviet catches of bowhead (Balaena mysticetus)
and right whales (Eubalaena japonica) in the North Pacific and Okhotsk Sea.
Endangered Species Research 18: 201-217.
[abstract also available here]
- Rone, B. K., C. L. Berchok, J. L. Crance, and P. J. Clapham. 2012. Using air-deployed
passive sonobuoys to detect and locate critically endangered North Pacific right
whales. Mar. Mammal Sci. 28(4):E528-E538.
- Rolland, R. M., S. E. Parks, K. E. Hunt, M. Castellotte, P. J. Corkeron, D. P. Nowacek, S. K. Wasser, and S. D. Kraus. 2012.
Evidence that ship noise increases stress in right whales. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. [Biol].
- Marques, T.A., L. Munger, L. Thomas, S. Wiggins, and J.A. Hildebrand. 2011. Estimating North
Pacific right whale Eubalaena japonica density
using passive acoustic cue counting. Endangered Species Research
13(3):163-172., (DOI: 10.3354/esr00325) and
- Gregr, E.J. 2011.
Insights into North Pacific right whale Eubalaena japonica
habitat from historic whaling records. Endangered Species Research
15:223-239. doi: 10.3354/esr00381.
- Ivashchenko Y.V. and Clapham P.J. 2011.
Pushed to the Edge: Soviet Catches of Right Whales in the Eastern North Pacific.
Alaska Fisheries Science Center Quarterly Research Reports (Apr-May-June 2011).
- Kennedy, A.S., D.R. Salden and P.J. Clapham. 2011 First High- to Low-Latitude
Match of an eastern North Pacific Right Whale (Eubalaena japonica)
Marine Mammal Science 28(4):E539–E544
- Wade, P. R., A. De Robertis, K. Hough, R. Booth, A. Kennedy, R. LeDuc, L. Munger,
J. Napp, K. E. W. Shelden, S. Rankin, O. Vasquez, and C. Wilson. 2011.
Rare detections of North Pacific right whales in the Gulf of Alaska, with observations
of their potential prey. Endang. Species Res. 13:99-109.
doi: 10.3354/esr00324 (.pdf, 2 MB).
- Wade, P.R., A. Kennedy, R. LeDuc, J. Barlow, J. Carretta,
K. Shelden, W. Perryman, R. Pitman, K. Robertson, B. Rone, J.C. Salinas, A. Zerbini,
R. L. Brownell Jr and Phillip J. Clapham. 2010.
The world’s smallest whale population? Biol. Lett. (published
- Good, C. and D. Johnston. 2009. Spatial modeling of optimal North Pacific
right whale (Eubalaena japonica) calving habitats. North Pacific Research Board
Project Final Report 718 (http://doc.nprb.org/web/07_prjs/718_final%20report.pdf)
- Zerbini, A.N., Clapham, P.J., Berchok, C., Kennedy, A. Rone, B.,
Mellinger, D., Nieukirk, S., and Moore, S.E. 2009(?). Occurrence
of the Endangered North Pacific Right Whale ( Eubalaena japonica) in the Bering
Sea in 2008 (poster presented at ____ conference?)
- Reilly, S.B., Bannister, J.L., Best, P.B., Brown, M., Brownell Jr., R.L.,
Butterworth, D.S., Clapham, P.J., Cooke, J., Donovan, G.P., Urbán, J. & Zerbini,
A.N. 2008. Eubalaena japonica. In: IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened
Species. Version 2012.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>.
Downloaded on 27 February 2013.
- Munger, L. M., Wiggins, S. M. W., Moore, S. E., and J. A. Hildebrand. 2008.
right whale (Eubalaena japonica) seasonal and diel calling patterns from
long-term acoustic recordings in the southeastern Bering Sea, 2000–2006.
Marine Mammal Science: Volume 24 Issue 4, Pages 795 - 814.
- Josephson, E., T. D. Smith and R. R. Reeves. 2008. Depletion within a Decade:
The American 19th-Century North Pacific Right Whale Fishery. pp. in Oceans Past:
Management Insights from the History of Marine Animal Populations (eds. David J.
Starkey, Poul Holm and Michaela Barnard.
Earthscan Research Editions. (Parts of the chapter are available online
some of the text).
- Josephson, E, T. D Smith and R. R. Reeves. 2008. Historical
distribution of right whales in the North Pacific. Fish and FisheriesVolume
9 Issue 2:155-168.
- Wade, P., Heide-Jørgensen, M.P., Shelden, K, Barlow, J., Carretta, J., Durban, J.,
LeDuc, R., Munger, L,, Rankin,;S., Sauter, A., and Stinchcomb, C.2006.
Acoustic detection and satellite-tracking leads to discovery of rare concentration
of endangered North Pacific right whales Biol. Lett:
- Sheldon, K.E., S E. Moore, J. M. Waite, P. R. Wade and D. J. Rugh.2005.
Historic and current habitat use by North Pacific right whales Eubalaena
japonica in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska.
Mammal Rev.Volume 35, No. 2, 129–155.
- Munger, L., D.K. Mellinger, S.M. Wiggins, S.E. Moore, and J.A. Hildebrand.
2005. Performance of spectrogram correlation in detecting right whale
calls in long-term recordings from the Bering Sea. Canadian Acoustics
33 (2): 25-34.
- Mellinger, D.K., Stafford, K.M., Moore, S.E., Munger, L., Fox, C.G. 2004.
Detection of North Pacific right whale (Eubalaena japonica)
calls in the Gulf of Alaska. Marine Mammal Science
20(4):872-879. 61 "certain" right whale calls were recorded in August-September
2000 from a hyrdophone located at 52º38'N, 157º23'W an area approximately 500km
SSE of Dutch Harbor and 27 "possible" right whale calls. 21 "probable" right
whale calls were recorded from a hydrophone at 57º07'N, 151º51'W east of Kodiak
- Mellinger, D.K. 2004. A comparison of methods for detecting right whale
calls. Canadian Acoustics 32(2):55-65.
- Wiggins, S.M., M.A. McDonald, L.M. Munger, J.A. Hildebrand and S.E. Moore. 2004.
Waveguide propagation allows range estimates for North Pacific right whales
in the Bering Sea. Canadian Acoustics 32(2):146-154.
- Clapham, P.J., Good, C., Quinn, S.E., Reeves, R.R., Scarff, J.E. and Brownell,
R.L. Jr. 2004. Distribution of North Pacific
right whales (Eubalaena japonica) as shown by 19th and 20th
century whaling catch and sighting records.
J. Cetacean Res. Manage.6(1):1-6.
- Waite, J.M., K. Wynne and D.K. Mellinger. 2003. Documented sightings of
North Pacific right whale in the Gulf of Alaska and post-sighting acoustic monitoring.
Northwestern Naturalist 84:38-43.
- Macdonald, M.A., and S.E. Moore. 2002. Calls recorded from North Pacific
right whales (Eubalaena japonica) in the eastern Bering Sea. J. Cetacean
Res. Manage. 4:261-266.
- Brownell, R.L. Jr., Clapham, P.J., Miyashita, T., and Kasuya, T. 2001.
status of North Pacific right whales. J. Cetacean Res. Manage.
(special issue) 2:269-286. (This is a complete record of all sightings and killings
of right whales in the North Pacific in this century.)
- Miyashita,T, and Kato, H. 2001. Recent data on the status of right whales
in the NW Pacific Ocean. Report of the International Whaling Commission.
- LeDuc, R.G., W.L. Perryman, J.W. Gilpatrick, Jr., H. Hyde, C. Stonchcomb, J.V. Carretta
and R. L. Browness, Jr. 2001. A note on recent surveys for right whales in the
southeastern Bering Sea. J. Cetacean Res. Manage.(special issue
- Scarff, J.E. 2001.
Preliminary estimates of whaling-induced mortality in the 19th century Pacific
northern right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) fishery, adjusting for struck-but-lost
whales and non-American whaling. J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (Special Issue
- LeDuc, R.G., Perryman, W.L., Gilpatrick,, J.W. Jr., Hyde, J., Stinchcomb, C., Carretta,
J.V. and Brownell Jr, R.L. 2001. A note on
recent surveys for right whales in the southeastern Bering Sea.
J. Cetacean Res. Manage. (special issue) 2:287-289.
- H. C. Rosenbaum, R. L. Brownwell Jr, M. W. Brown, C. Schaeff, V. Portway, B. N.
White, S. Malik, L. A. Pastene, N. J. Patenaude, C. S. Baker, M. Goto, P. B. Best,
P. J. Clapham, P. Hamilton, M. Moore, R. Payne, V. Rowntree, C. T. Tynan, J. L.
Bannister & R. DeSalle. 2000. World-wide
genetic differentiation of Eubalaena: questioning the number of right whale
species. Molecular Ecology 9 (11):1793-1802.
- Doroshenko, N.V. 2000. Soviet whaling for blue, gray, bowhead and right
whales in the North Pacific Ocean, 1961-1979. pp. 96-103 in Soviet Whaling
Data (1949-1979) Center for Russian Environmental Policy, Moscow.
- Perry, S.L., D.P. DeMaster and G.K. Silber. 1999. The right whales.
Marine Fisheries Review. 61(1):7-23. (Special Issue- history and status of
six species listed as endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act of 1973)
(entire issue on-line on PDF format)
- Gendron, D. Lanham, S., and Carwardine, M. 1999. North Pacific right whale
(Eubalaena glacialis) sighting South of Baja California. Aquatic
- Salden, D.R. and Mickelsen, J. 1999. Rare sighting of a North Pacific right
whale (Eubalaena glacialis) in Hawai'i. Pacific Science 53(4):341-345.
- Goddard, P.D. and D.J. Rugh. 1998. A group of right whales seen in the Bering Sea
in July 1996. Marine Mammal Science 14(2):344-49.
- Carretta, J.V., M.S. Lynn and C.A. LeDuc. 1994. Right whale Eubalaena
glacialis) sighting off San Clemente Island, California. Marine Mammal
- Rowlett, R.A., G.A. Green, C.E. Bowlby and M.A. Smultea. 1994. The first
photographic documentation of a northern right whale off Washington State.
Northwestern Naturalist 75:102-104.
- Scarff, J.E. 1991. Historic distribution
and abundance of the right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) in the North Pacific,
Bering Sea, Sea of Okhotsk and Sea of Japan from the Maury Whale Charts.
Rep. Intl Whal. Commn 41:467-489.
- Webb, R. 1988. On the Northwest, Commercial Whaling in the Pacific Northwest
1790-1967. Univ. Brit. Columbia Press. [This is a superb, and very
readable account about the pelagic Northwest whaling industry.]
- Scarff, J.E. 1986. Historic and present distribution
of the right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) in the Eastern North Pacific South
of 50° North and East of 180° West. Rep. Intl Whal. Commn (Special
Issue 10): 43-63.
- Scarff, J.E. 1986. Occurrence
of the barnacles Coronula diadema, C. reginae and
Cetopirus complanatus (Cirripedia) on right whales. Sci. Rep. Whales
Res. Inst. 37:129-153. [This is the best record of the 1982 sighting
off Half Moon Bay, California. (plus 2012
Errata and Addenda)
- Omura, H. 1986. History of Right Whale catches in the waters around Japan. Rep.
Intl Whal. Commn (Special Issue 10): 35-41.
- Klumov, S.K. 1962. The right whales in the Pacific Ocean. Proceedings of the Institute
of Oceanology, Academy of Sciences, U.S.S.R. [Trudy
Inst. Okeanol.] 58:202-297. (in Russian) (English translation
now available here.) (Ths is the official report on the 10 right whales
killed pursuant to a scientific permit. This whaling just preceded the massive illegal
killing of right whales in the North Pacific by Soviet whalers that was to occur
later in the decade. This paper is often cited, but usually for the English summary
which inaccurately reflects the generally bad science in the article itself.)
Please send any comments or corrections to:
Jim Scarff with "right whale" in subject line.