Cape Breton Music Resources
Updated: November 11, 2010
Where You Can Buy Cape Breton music: The
bigger names (Natalie MacMaster, Ashley MacIsaac, The Rankin Family,
etc.) are on big labels, and may be available in better record stores.
For a broader section of Cape Breton, Acadian music,and Atlantic music try one
of the following stores:
- Locally in the San Francisco Bay Area:
Home Music Store, 10341 San Pablo Ave, El Cerrito, CA (510
525-2129) has the best selection Cape Breton and other Canadian music in the
Bay Area, but you still will need to go to the Internet companies including a
lot of hard-to-get imports.
- Internet (Mail order) Companies
- Cape Breton Vendors Support the local vendors because they support the music! Purchasing CDs from Canada is much less expensive than you think, and often cheaper than buying locally or the U.S. mail order companies, even when shipping is included. Remember the prices are usually in Canadian $$ and are less in American $$ terms. I have purchased lots of CDs from all these vendors and they give great service.
- Charlie's Down Home
Music, Cheticamp, Cape Breton. This store has a wide selection
of Cape Breton and Acadian music and books. From the U.S. call 1-902-224-3782
(I recommend calling because the web site is a bit cumbersome and by calling
you get to talk to Charlie who knows all the latest music news.
- Celtic Music Interpretive Centre, Judique, Cape Breton (902) 787-2708)
- Cape Breton Live - Music Store - This radio show + music store is the brainchild of Natalie MacMaster and her husband Donnell Leahy. Check out the live concerts available on line!
- Cranford Publications, Englishtown, Cape Breton. This is also an excellent source of books and sheet music.phone:1 888 860 8073 or 1-902-929-2811
Heron Gifts, Baddeck, Cape Breton (902) 294-3424.
- U.S. Internet Companies:
- Rounder Records (Alex Francis McKay, Morgan MacQuarrie, The Cottars, Theresa Morrison, etc)
Publications - Paul Cranford is one of the most prolific
tune-writers in Cape Breton. His company sells a variety of excellent tune
- The Dungreen
Collection - Seems like everyone's favorite book of tunes (currently 12/07 out of print).
- Cape Breton
Music On-Line-- A place to start your WWW searches
for Cape Breton music. Includes a drectory of musicians, bands, venues, a
calendar of events and list of resources, but some of this info is updated only through 2007.
- Gaelic Council of Nova Scotia - a dedicated to the social and economic
development of the Gaelic language in Nova Scotia.
Music Schools Teaching Cape Breton Music
- Ceilidh Trail School of Celtic
Music, Inverness Co, Cape Breton. This school offers classes in
the summer in: fiddle, piano accompaniment, guitar accompaniment, Gaelic, Cape
Breton step-dances, Gaelic Piping.People from all ages and levels of musical
experience can choose from daily workshops in these areas of interest as well
as join in the informal jam sessions, ceilidhs, and a final concert at week's
end where participants can join in with the School staff and is open to the
public. Highly recommended by its alumni. They just released a CD, Summer
Sessions on the Ceilidh Trail, featuring both students and teachers the
like of Buddy MacMaster, Brenda Stubbert, Scott Macmillan, etc.
- The Celtic Music Interpretive Centre Judique, Cape Breton
- The Gaelic College, St Anne's, Cape Breton
- Alasdair Fraser's Valley of the Moon Scottish Fiddling School in the Santa Cruz Mountains, California Camp
- Kate Dunlay & David Greenberg's "Traditional Celtic Violin Music
of Cape Breton." known as "The DunGreen Collection"
- Dan R. MacDonald's "Trip To Windsor Collection"
- Jerry Holland - the Second Collection
- Gordon MacQuarrie's "Cape Breton Collection"
- The Heather Hill Collection (Dan R. MacDonald's compositions)
- "Winston Fitzgerald - A Collection of Fiddle Tunes" arranged &
edited by Paul Stewart Cranford.
- "The Beaton Collection" - 600 tunes, of which over 550 are Kinnon's
own compositions, 51 of his father's (the late and great Donlad Angus Beaton),
and 14 of Kinnon and Betty Lou's daughter, Andrea.
- Cranford Publications
- Breton Books & Music
in Wreck Cove
Mailing Lists and Newsgroups:
- The Cape Breton Music Mailing
List This is an unmoderated, quite active, list discussing all
aspects of the music scene in Cape Breton (and wherever the Cape Breton
musicians travel. Good for info on musicians tours, reviews of concerts,
announcements of events, and most anything else about Cape Breton.
What am I missing? Send me an e-mail:
Back to Celtic Music Page, Cape Breton Travel Page or
Scarff's Home Page